Can You Use Steam Cleaner On Laminate Floors? Obviously, the concern is that you don’t want to hurt your laminate floor as it’s more delicate than a hardwood floor. Laminate floors are made from thin layers of wood boards overlaid with a high-resolution image pattern which is also covered by a protective resin surface. The resin layer is water-resistant which makes laminate floors able to resist occasional spills. But the question remains: can you use a steam cleaner on laminate floors without hurting them?
You can use a steam cleaner on your laminate floor with certain precautions – since excessive moisture may hurt your new laminate flooring, causing it to warp or swell over time: use steam cleaners that are labeled safe for laminate floors. Furthermore, follow best cleaning practices as recommended by your steam cleaner manufacturer.
Although some experts will tell you to avoid steam cleaning altogether, we find it hard to disagree with. Avoiding moisture and spills on your laminate floor can be very beneficial to it in the long run, greatly extending its lifespan so you don’t have to replace it sooner. In the event of a spill, you need not worry because the protective layer is effectively waterproofed – only act fast: use a piece of cloth to immediately clean up the spill.
- 1 What Is the Difference Between Steam Cleaner And Steam Mop?
- 2 What Is the Best Way to Clean Laminate Floor?
- 3 How Do I Keep My Laminate Floor Shiny?
- 4 What Is The Best Laminate Floor Cleaner to Buy?
- 5 What Is the Best Steam Mop For Laminate Floor?
- 6 Final Words on Can You Use Steam Cleaner On Laminate Floors?
What Is the Difference Between Steam Cleaner And Steam Mop?
Given that most people use both terms interchangeably, they don’t mean the same thing. That’s why we have dedicated this section to clearly defining the differences between a steam cleaner and a steam mop. Read on to find out:
- Steam cleaners come in various shapes with the most favored shape being the blower setup. However, steam mops always come shaped like mobs.
- In addition to loosening the dust particles and bringing them to the surface, a steam mop can clean floors by trapping the debris. A steam cleaner, on the other hand, cannot trap dust particles.
- Steam cleaners mostly come as handheld devices while steam mobs come with sticks just like traditional mobs.
- For the above reason, steam cleaners can be used to clean a wide variety of surfaces, whereas steam mobs are specialized for cleaning floors.
- The steam cleaner does not clean dirt per se; it merely loosens them so they can be easily wiped or vacuumed. On the other hand, a steam mop can remove dust particles from surfaces. However, they both have the same disinfecting effect.
A rule of thumb when dealing with these two is to remember that all steam mobs are classified as a steam cleaners, but not every steam cleaner is a steam mop.
What Is the Best Way to Clean Laminate Floor?
It’s not recommended to wax or polish your laminate floor – the result won’t be good; it can’t be refinished either, so if you intend to use your laminate floor for a long time, it’s best to take good care of it by applying the best cleaning practices. While cleaning your laminate floor, the less water you use, the better because excessive use of water can cause it to warp and/or swelling. However, you need to maintain your laminate floor from time to time, and you need to know how to do it right. We’ve outlined tips to take to keep your laminate floor in good shape. Let’s dive in:
- The best way to care for your laminate floor is by using laminate floor-specific products for them.
- If you don’t have special cleaning products for cleaning your laminate floor, mix a teaspoon of clear dish soap with a gallon of water. Then using a mop, clean the floor. Make sure to wring the mop until it’s rid of most of the water before wiping the laminate floor.
- For more laminate floor-friendly cleaning, use a laminate floor mop. They’re usually made of special absorbent materials that don’t allow excess liquid on a laminate floor.
- After each mopping, it is best to go over it again with a dry mop or suitable microfiber cloth to make sure that the laminate floor is completely dry.
- When you use a steam mop for deep-cleaning your laminate floor, it is good practice to go over it again with a dry mop or microfiber cloth.
- Avoid using oil-based cleaning agents on your laminate floor because they may coat it and give it a dull finish – which is difficult to remove.
- Avoid using sponges on your laminate floor as they may leave streaks when it dries.
How Do I Keep My Laminate Floor Shiny?
Laminate floors come with a shiny finish that does not require wax or polish to maintain but rather, sticking to a regular cleaning schedule will do. Therefore, it’s important to know what to do during your cleaning sessions to keep your floor sparkling. Below, we have outlined tips for keeping your laminate floor as shiny as the day it was installed. Take a peek:
- Never apply polish or wax your laminate floor. This is because the topmost layer of the floor is made of a thin layer of resin which is naturally shiny; the wax/polish will dull its appearance.
- Steam-clean or mop your laminate floor once a week using special laminate floor cleaning agents.
- Laminate floors are water-resistant but not entirely impermeable to them. So if there is a spill quickly use a soft cloth to clean the spill as fast as possible.
- Place a dust trap mat at your house entrance so that fine particles, debris, and mud don’t get carried in. Sharp objects like tiny stones can scratch the surface of the laminate floor, rendering it dull over time. Since laminate floors can’t be repolished, it’s important to prevent sand particles on it by vacuuming regularly.
- Never use an abrasive cleaning pad for the same reason as stated above. It will wear out its natural shiny sheen and make it dull over time.
What Is The Best Laminate Floor Cleaner to Buy?
You want to give your laminate floor the best care because it can’t get repolished like other floor types. The way to go is by using special floor cleaners suitable for cleaning laminate floors. We have brought you two of the best laminate floor cleaners in the market so you don’t have to sweat it. Here you go:
Better Life Naturally Dirt-Destroying Floor Cleaner
If you want the guarantee of an eco-friendly cleaning product and not have to worry about harsh chemical constituents, then you would love the all-natural Better Life dirt-destroying floor cleaner. It employs natural ingredients which makes it gentle yet effective for cleaning laminate flooring. It scores high for fresh, pleasant scent as you would immediately notice when you open the cleaner bottle and start to use it.
This eco-friendly floor cleaner contains 0% surfactants, VOCs, and petroleum products – all of which are harmful to your laminate floor and can bestow upon it a dull look. Also, you won’t need to use a lot of water because Better Life dirt destroying floor cleaner is made with no-rinse ingredients, which reduces the amount of water to use for each cleaning cycle.
Why We Like It
- No-rinse formula
- Dries quickly while maintaining the floor’s shine
ZEP 1 Gallon Hardwood and Laminate Floor Cleaner
ZEP 1 Gallon Hardwood and Laminate Floor Cleaner delivers great value in terms of pocket-friendliness and cleaning ability. It can be used in a spray mop as well as with a microfiber cloth. However, our previously mentioned rules still apply: try not to saturate the mop while cleaning the floor.
Why We Like It
- Brings out the shine of a surface.
What Is the Best Steam Mop For Laminate Floor?
Light ‘N’ Easy Floor Steamer
One of the best ways is by using a steam cleaner, and you would find it hard to find one that beats the performance of a Light ‘N’ Easy Floor Steamer. It is great for cleaning all kinds of floors, including laminate floors. Its soft pad simply glides across the floor, aided by a swivel steering to effortlessly clean and remove unwanted grease and smears on your laminate floors. Also, it has a pretty efficient heater which quickly turns water into steam so that you can be about cleaning the floor in no time.
Why We Like It
- It performs excellently for cleaning laminate and other types of flooring
- Rapid heating takes water to steam in about 30 seconds
- Glides smoothly
- Swivel steering makes navigation very easy
Bissell PowerFresh Deluxe 1806C Steam Mopsteast
The Bissell PowerFresh steam mop is another steam mop to lay hands on if you want excellent cleaning on your laminate floor. Its swivel steering feature enables it to easily navigate around furniture, making light work of every cleaning cycle. Additionally, it comes with washable floor pads so you can wash and dey one while you use the other as usual. Also, you won’t be needing any cleaning chemicals – its steaming pad is enough to deep-clean and disinfect 99.9% of germs every time you use it.
Why We Like It
- Heats up in about 30 seconds
- Has a swivel steering feature for easy navigation
- 25 ft long cord means more freedom
Final Words on Can You Use Steam Cleaner On Laminate Floors?
Laminate floors are not exactly inexpensive. They also cannot be repolished or given a makeover like a hardwood floor; once it’s defaced, that’s it. So the best way to prevent it from getting a dull look is by knowing exactly how to clean and maintain it. Also, there are various rules of thumb to bear in mind, tips to follow, and suggestions to implement to keep your laminate floor in top condition. We hope that the contents of this article enable you to become the proud owner of a shiny laminate floor – whether you choose to use a steam cleaner or mop.